Feb 27, 2015

5 Questions For: Jennifer Scott, A Good Chick to Know

Name: Jennifer Scott
Title: Owner and principal designer

Which of your designs or projects are you most excited about right now?
I’m super excited to be working on the lobby redesign of a Vancouver-based entertainment law and production office right now. The challenge of blending corporate professionalism with creativity is an inspiring task that forces me to think outside the box. I’m having a lot of fun planning this space.

Tell us three words that embody your design philosophy.
Eclectic. Curated. Chic.

What's your favorite place in the Pacific Northwest?
Lighthouse Park, tucked away on the shores of West Vancouver, has been my favorite ‘local escape’ since I was a child. When I was a small girl, my grandfather would take me here to explore nature, and I still find it a place of solace when I need a break from the beautiful bustle of the city. It’s still one of the only places I know of to find wild huckleberries! 

Who or what are you inspired by right now?
I’ve found my personal design tendencies shifting toward a much more intimate, comfortable aesthetic. I’m drawn to almost-bohemian spaces defined by soft palettes and heavy with textures and layers. I recently returned home from a journey to Huatulco, Mexico, where I was fortunate enough to tour some textile studios; it was a totally inspiring experience that offered me an in-depth appreciation for handmade fabrics.

What do you think of the color gray? 

For me, gray has always been a color of comfort. I have a definite weakness for touchable gray textiles and a guilty-pleasure collection of throws and pillows (and clothes!) that are in various shades of gray. I also find it a versatile palette for design—with such a strong range of tones, the color works with any decor, whether the look is traditional or minimalist, cool or warm. Grays, alongside a striking white, are my favorite neutrals for walls to define the look of a space.

Image courtesy of Jamie Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment