Sep 26, 2014

5 Questions For: Jason Ball, Jason Ball Interiors


Name: Jason Ball
Title: owner


Which of your designs or projects are you most excited about right now and why?

We’re just about to start construction of a new bar in Southeast Portland. When the clients approached me, they had a clear vision of an old-world pub with dark wood, etc. I worked with them to take it a step further and really make it into a special place. The design is definitely reminiscent of an old world pub, but we’re adding some great contemporary lighting and art to provide that unexpected moment in the space.

Tell us three words that embody your design philosophy.

Tailored. Creative. Balanced.

What's your favorite place in the Pacific Northwest and why?

The Oregon coast holds a special place in my heart. Not to get sappy or anything, but my wife and I started our dating relationship on the coast in high school (26 years ago!) and it’s the one place we go together to reconnect in our busy lives. Being by the ocean grounds me, forces me to reflect on what’s important in life. Plus, our dogs love the beach and that’s always fun.

Who or what are you inspired by right now?

I am always inspired by travel. I just got back from a great trip to Manhattan and historic Virginia celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. The trip was an interesting one from a design perspective. Moments of inspiration in an urban environment like New York City are so prevalent. This time around, I focused on street level textures—sidewalk grates, brick-paved roads, etc.—and window displays in the high-end stores on Fifth Avenue. The juxtaposition between the two will keep me inspired for months.

What do you think of the color gray?


Gray is and always has been one of my favorite colors. It’s the perfect neutral. Even though it’s currently in vogue, it’s really a timeless color and fits in any style or era of design.

Image courtesy of Jason Ball Interiors. 

1 comment:

  1. Very well done Jason! Congratulations on the nice Press!

    ReplyDelete