Jul 18, 2014

5 Questions For: Matthew McCormick, Matthew Maté Lighting Inc.



Name: Matthew McCormick
Title: Principal

Which of your designs or projects are you most excited about right now and why?
The installation that is set to debut at Earl’s Restaurant in Assembly Row, Boston, is creating the most anticipation right now. It’s the culmination of months of development and countless hours of meticulous refinement and engineering. From onset to development, each new project we take on offers endless excitement and opportunity. Seeing concepts through to reality marks a high point of the creative process, with the pinnacle being in the final installation when the piece is illuminated for the first time. It’s always a dynamic project cycle that continues to inspire everyone who participates in the process.

Tell us three words that embody your design philosophy.
Curious. Collaborative. Considered.

What's your favorite place in the Pacific Northwest and why?
My neighborhood in Vancouver: Kitsilano. I feel like I’m on vacation every day, right here in my city. Five minutes to the beach and 20 minutes to the mountains. It just doesn’t get much better.

Who or what are you inspired by right now?
I’m inspired by seeing and considering the beauty in all things. From the people I surround myself with to the physical environment that surrounds me, I pull inspiration from nature, architecture, sculptural art, or from the simplest of forms.

What do you think of the color gray?
It’s the perfect balance between a blank white canvas and the classic timeless nature of black.

No comments:

Post a Comment