Feb 25, 2014

Meet the Team: Rachel Gallaher


Ever wonder who's behind GRAY magazine? Well, we want you to get to know us a little better. That's why we're starting the Meet the Team series. Every week we will be posting a Q&A with one of our fabulous team members so you can get a peek at their inspirations, experience at the magazine, and how they got involved in the design industry. And if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment.



Photo: Catleah Cunanan



Name: Rachel Gallaher

Position at GRAY: Editor


What is your favorite part of working for GRAY?

All of the amazing people I get to meet. I’m incredibly social and I love conversing with thinkers, craftspeople, designers, and innovators. Our region is such a hotbed of creativity. At least two to three times a week someone will ask me if I heard of this artist or that architect, or so-and-so the fashion designer, and about 70 percent of the time they are someone new, or a fabulous up-and-comer. Many of the people I’ve interviewed or interacted with for GRAY have become very dear friends.


How would you describe the Pacific Northwest design and architecture scene? How is it different from other parts of the country?

There are no rules! I think that there is a huge amount of freedom in the Pacific Northwest because we aren’t tied to hundreds of years of certain architectural styles and buildings, which isn’t a negative thing by any means. This region seems to attract thinkers, innovators, and creative types across all fields who aren’t afraid to take risks or dive into collaboration with other designers.


How did you get into the design industry?

Like several people at GRAY, I started out at Seattle Homes & Lifestyles. I was just out of college and it was my first internship. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew that I wanted to write. I had always wanted to be a writer. Once I started dipping my toes in the world of design I was hooked. So when I got the call from Shawn asking if I was interested in being involved in this “idea to start a new magazine,” I said yes without hesitation and jumped in with both feet.


What is your favorite design era or style? Why?

I love midcentury modern. I think it has something to do with the defined lines and clean minimalism (I hate clutter and am constantly paring down everything in my apartment except my books—those just keep mysteriously multiplying … ). Despite originating from a specific era, I find the furniture to be timeless and easy to incorporate into many styles of décor. The colors are also to die for. Do I secretly want an avocado-green Smeg refrigerator? Um, who doesn’t?


Do you have any favorite GRAY memories?

Anything involving a studio shoot with our style director Stacy Kendall.  Whenever we get into the studio and start settings things up or moving them around, it always seems like the concept grows and changes—almost to the point where we’re asking ourselves, “Can we really pull this off?” And somehow we always do. Plus, she’s pretty much one of the funniest people I know.


What is your favorite section of the magazine? Why?

That’s tough, but I think it would have to be the fashion section. I love finding out about all the amazing talent coming out of the Pacific Northwest. Plus, I’ve gotten to play dress-up in more than a few designers’ studios.


What is your favorite space in your home? 

My living room. I spend a lot of time in there, and it’s the place where my friends and I just hang out, drink wine, and spend hours talking. Most of the items in there are from the Goodwill, but I’m known to have good luck there. I’ve gotten an industrial cart on wheels that I use as a coffee table, an early 1900s steamer trunk, two Italian brass-and-leather midcentury chairs, and an old record player. One of my favorite things to do is hunt for old records—I love to just put on some Led Zeppelin and sprawl out on the couch at the end of the day. You have to feel comfortable in your own space

No comments:

Post a Comment